Saturday, July 16, 2011

Vacation, Day 6--Bacharach to St Goar


let's go!
 A beautiful morning in the Rhine Valley.  I got to watch the sun rise over the river, since for some reason I woke up really, really early.  Now to get the rest of the family up and moving!
We went back to the bike place at 9am sharp, and the owner was most helpful...even suggested that we ride our bikes to St Goar to see the castle. We had planned to take a river cruise up to see the castle, but since we could take our bikes on the boat to come back down, we decided to take his advice.  Had I known that it was an 8 and half mile ride, I might have been afraid to try, but it was a very flat, easy ride, and we were able to stop and see alot of the sights along the way.  In no time we were there!  But we did decide to take the tram up to the castle instead of hiking...

stopping to admire the view--we saw several castles on the way.



the town of Kaub, with castle Gutenfels above it


Castle Schonburg in Oberwesel


Loreley rock, 130 meters of slate rising out of the river.  The river narrows here, creating strong currents, and caused many a shipwreck, which led to the legend of the blonde nymph who sat on the rock distracting sailors with her siren-song.


Reinfels Castle in St Goar--building started in 1245. Part of it is a hotel/restaurant now, and we saw two brides today.


inside the castle ruins


on top of the watch tower





Back in St Goar for ice cream



world's largest cuckoo clock


taking the boat back, safely past the Loreley




Casey loves biking!


Alex tries a weinerschnitzel--and it's good!


I don't know