Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 14---Paris to London

  Our last morning in Paris.  There are so many things we can do, but today I think we will go to Montmartre to see the village and the Sacre Coeur.  The village and the basillica sit on a hill, the highest point in Paris.  We could see it from the Eiffel Tower.  It was once an artists village for the likes of Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali, and Monet.  We could have taken the funicular, a tram-like thing, up to the top, but after climbing the Eiffel Tower, we felt like we could manage these.  The Sacre Coeur was beautiful, but crowded, and we went back down to the village after a brief rest in the sun---which we haven't seen a lot of this week.  The gardens were beautiful, and then we came to the tourist street!  What a crowd of people were there, and the entire street was nothing but shops and cafes.  We found a kebab place, which I had never tried before----it's really tasty!  And the girls couldn't wait to get nutella banana crepes--they declared them excellent as well.  I give all the credit to Dave, as I would never have tried revolving meat on a spit without his encouragement.



220 steps to the top






yes, I said 220




sitting on the steps, catching some rays



The Eiffel Tower in the distance



The busy streets of Montmartre


***********************************************************************************
And now we are in London!  We are staying just a short walk from the St Pancras station, but it took me a couple of tries to find it, so now we are quite tired.  After a quick trip to the corner store to set up some supplies for breakfast, we are in for the night.  Tomorrow we will begin the hard work of being tourists.